Monday, January 21, 2013

What do you think you know?

"Did not He who made the outside
make the inside also?"
Luke 11:40

I wore my shirt inside-out yesterday.

But I didn't know it. 

All day. 

And I never knew it.

I think, when I first got dressed in the morning, I had an inkling that something was wrong.  It was a black shirt, but there was a bit of a white thread on the front, and I wondered how had never noticed that before.   But I just thought, "huh..." and went on with my day.

The shirt was all black, and made of that sort of "waffle" material, like thermals are sometimes made of, y'know?  So there was no "reverse" of the pattern by which I could have judged the right side from the wrong side.

And it is a hooded shirt, so the hood fell over the tag in the back, preventing my neck or hair from being irritated by a tag that was doing something other than it should have been.  It also prevented anyone from seeing the tag, and informing me that I had my shirt on inside-out.

And even the seams of the shirt, inside-out as they were, didn't catch my eye.  The difference was just too subtle.

When I put my shirt on in the morning, I thought it was on right.  I thought I knew for sure, what I thought I knew.  If someone had asked me if my shirt was on properly, I would have thought it a strange question.  I've been dressing myself for a long time, and I think I've worked out the kinks. 

But I was wrong.  What I thought I knew was wrong.

We don't always know what we think we know.  Ask Him.  Read the Bible.  Test all things and hold fast what is good.  And ask Him for wisdom, which He promises to give liberally.

Because you don't know everything you think you know.

~ "the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God" ~
1 Corinthians 3:19

No comments:

Post a Comment