Friday, January 11, 2013

Peace, Love, and Silly Cow

"the Lord will grant you plenty"
Deuteronomy 28:11

One of my favorite things about winter ~ even in sunny Southern California ~ is that I get to drink hot chocolate.  I mean, I suppose I could drink hot chocolate in the summer, but it's not the same.

I don't drink coffee.  Never have.  So for the most part, tea is my drink of choice when I want a hot beverage.  But I love hot chocolate.  I love to try different varieties, different brands, different flavors.  And, I mean, I'm not really talking about Swiss Miss or Nestle or one of those. 

Which is to say, if you're going to open up a packet and add hot water, I'm really not interested.  But thanks anyway.

I mean a more, sort of, gourmet, hot chocolate, I guess.   I always love when Trader Joe's market comes out with their flavor of the season.  Which, this season, was the same as last season.... which is fine; I liked that.  But I was hoping for something new to try. 

In September, I went an a retreat with some of the women in my Bible study.  We went up to a friend's mountain cabin, where it was cool at night, so when we stopped in a store up there to get some supplies, I found some hot chocolate.  It was such a treat to have a nice mug of hot chocolate before bed.

Turns out, it's a wonderful brand.  First of all, let's talk about the packaging.

sorry; the picture is kinda small.  I got it off the company's website

I know, right?  It's like a little milk bottle.  Yes, I was attracted to the packaging.  As a consumer, I'm a marketer's dream.  What are ya gonna do?

Next, is the name of the brand.  Are you ready?  Silly Cow Farms.  Can you stand how adorable that name is?

Yup.  I'm a sucker.  But this time, it paid off.  Because it was some of the best hot chocolate I've ever had.  It was rich and chocolatey and velvety.  Delicious.  {This, of course, is not a paid opinion.  Just an enthusiastic one.}

The problem was, I had only purchased one bottle.  I had no idea it would be so good, and when I realized it, I wasn't able to go back and buy any more.  And the next day, we drove back down the mountain.  I knew I had to enjoy that jar because when it was gone, there wouldn't be any more.  It would be at least a year until I got anywhere near that store again.

Okay, now flash forward to December.  In my family, everyone generally gives a few gift suggestions to one another, so one of the things I said I'd love was some hot chocolate.  It's not too expensive, and I thought that since some of my relatives shop at stores that are different than where I shop, I might get something new and different. 

And on Christmas morning, I opened a package from my in-laws that included a tin of silky, rich, dark chocolate powder ~ and a bottle of Silly Cow Farms hot chocolate. 

Merry, merry Christmas. 

I was excited to have another bottle, but when I thanked my mother-in-law, it got even better.  She told me that she found it in her local store, and she'd be happy to get me some more if I needed it. 

Which means, I not only do I have more than one bottle of Silly Cow Farms, I also have a source for more.

And that joy in my life ~ yes, hot-chocolate-induced joy ~ made me thankful to God.  And not just for hot chocolate, but for the fact that I have a source.  And not just a source for hot chocolate. 

I started thinking about how God is my source of strength and wisdom and grace and forgiveness.  If we need it ~ not just want it, but need it ~ He's got it for us.  In unlimited supply.

So what do you need?  Patience?  Courage?  Perseverance?  Hope?  Faith?  Love?  Understanding?  How about peace, joy, or a miracle?  Yup.  He's got 'em.  Try asking.

He is everything we need.  And He's all we need.

~ "trust in the living God, 
who gives us richly all things to enjoy" ~
1 Timothy 6:17
~

No comments:

Post a Comment