Wednesday, March 2, 2011

The Prayer Life of a Christian

(in six verses)


"I trust"
Psalm 13

Why is it that we can read a passage we've read dozens of times before, and still feel like we've never seen it?  I guess because the time is somehow right for us to receive it.

I read Psalm 13 recently, as instructed by my "Read-the-Bible-in-a-year-or-at-least-come-pretty-close" Schedule.  And for some reason, it struck me, as it never has before.  It's only a six-verse Psalm, which makes me want to memorize it, since there was so much packed into six little verses.  And there was a wonderful progression from the first verse to the last.  It mirrors what should be our attitude during trials, but also what should be our growth as Christians.

Verses 1 and 2 are verses of pain.  Of the struggle and frustration we can feel when God is silent.

"How long, O Lord?  Will You forget me forever?  How long will You hide Your face from me?  How long must I wrestle with my thoughts and every day have sorrow in my heart?  How long will my enemy triumph over me?"

Ever thought any of those things?  If you haven't, then I want to live your life!  The truth is, many of us who are strong in our faith ~ just like King David ~ have thought that.   We know God loves us, we know He has a plan for us.  But when He is silent and seemingly ignorant of our prayers, it's a painful place to be.

But if you are strong in your faith, then this place of doubt shouldn't last too long.  Which brings us to verses 3 and 4.

"Look on me and answer, O Lord my God.  Give light to my eyes or I will sleep in death; my enemy will say, 'I have overcome him,' and my foes will rejoice when I fall."

These are verses that ask God for help.  And to ask for help, there has to be the faith to believe that He can.  Know that He can; and ask Him.  Don't stop asking.  Pray and pray and pray and persevere in prayer.
With devotion.  With passion.  With ferocity.

Verses 5 and 6 take us to where we should be, about 98% of the time.  No matter what answer we get to our prayers; no matter how long He asks us to wait.

"But I trust in Your unfailing love; my heart rejoices in your salvation.  I will sing to the Lord, for He has been good to me."

Yes, He has.

1 comment: