Tuesday, March 22, 2011

From one soldier to another....

"like a good soldier of Christ Jesus"
2 Timothy 2:3




I'm thinking about the military today.  My Awesome Girl has been working on a report for History that has us talking about those who have served, and those who currently serve, our country.  


Scripture compares Christians to soldiers more than once, including the well-known passage in Ephesians 6:  "put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God."


But even with the knowledge, that I am supposed to think of myself as a soldier, I often don't comport myself that way.  I am too frequently weak, tired, or spiritually whiny.   A soldier in combat would not be shocked if the enemy fired at him ~ why am I?  1 Peter 4:12 says "Dear friends, do not be surprised at the fiery ordeal that has come on you to test you, as though something strange were happening to you."


I am grateful ~ again ~ for those who have the courage I don't, and put on a uniform and take up a weapon against the enemy.  And I pray that their example will remind me of what is expected of me.  Because the enemy is going to come against me.  Whether or not I have my armor on, whether or not I have my weapon ready.  Praise God, I do not fight alone.


~ "For the Lord your God is the One Who goes with you,
to fight for you against your enemies,
to give you victory." ~
Deuteronomy 20:4

No comments:

Post a Comment