Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Now you see Him; now you don't

"the power of the Holy Spirit"
Romans 15:13

Close your eyes.  But very gently.  Don't squeeze; just lower your lids.  And don't hurry.  I'll wait.



Hi again!  So, what did you see?  At first, I think we generally see sort of a photo-negative of whatever we had in view before.  Like, a backwards silhouette.  And then whatever seems to be light-colored starts to fade, and there's blackness.  But then, in the blackness, there seems to be something like the static you might see when your TV is not working correctly.

But then, when you are aware of that staticky-snowy-stuff, then squeeze your eyes shut as tight as you can.  And then tighter.  Go ahead.  I'll still be here.



So, now what did you see?  J.M. Barrie, the author of Peter Pan, wrote:  "If you shut your eyes, and are a lucky one, you may see at times a shapeless pool of lovely pale colours suspended in the darkness; then if you squeeze your eyes tighter, the pool begins to take shape, and the colours become so vivid that with another squeeze they must go on fire."   I love that.  I think Sir Barrie was on to something.  I have long wondered if that fiery, colored, ball of light that we see, is the Holy Spirit.  I mean, when He's not in the form of a dove, or a tongue of fire...   I like the thought that His Spirit is always with me, and all I have to do to see Him is to close my eyes to the world around me.   Because heaven knows, it doesn't take long, when viewing our circumstances, to lose sight of Him.

Close your eyes when you pray.  Close your eyes when you worship.  Close your eyes when you are frustrated, scared, overwhelmed, anxious, or lost.  Just close your eyes, and you'll see what you should have been seeing all along.

~ May the God of hope fill you 
with all joy and peace, as you trust in Him
so that you may over flow with hope
by the power of the Holy Spirit ~
Romans 15:13

1 comment: