Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Men at Work

"do not become weary in doing good"
Galatians 6:9

Did you ever see one of those posters with some sort of animal on it ~ a polar bear, or a kitten or some such ~ lazing somewhere comfy, and at the bottom are the words:  “Work fascinates me.  I could watch it for hours.” ?


Well, I had an experience like that recently.  There are street crews working behind our house, and for a time I went outside to look over the wall.  I was wondering how much longer they were going to be there, because the noise had been going on for hours.  But when I got out there, I found myself oddly transfixed by the work, and stayed there, leaning on the wall, watching, for several minutes.  I came back in where my Productive Hubby was actually getting something done, and checking things off his “to-do” list, and told him, “That’s strangely hypnotic…” 


Near as I can tell, they had dug a trench to lay a new pipe or cable of some kind.  Now they were covering it over with dirt.   The driver of the bulldozer was scooping a layer of dirt from the left side of the trench, and pushing it forward, so that it would fill in the right side of the trench, where there apparently was not enough dirt.  Then he’d back up, and repeat.  Each time, the pile of dirt progressed a little farther than the time before.  In the meantime, two guys with brooms (that sounds like a wacky sitcom, doesn’t it?) would clean up either side of the trench.


I was entranced not only by the repetition involved, but also by the fact that they were accomplishing something, albeit very slowly.   The bulldozer-guy (there’s probably a technical term for that) didn’t just want to scoop as much dirt as he could, he wanted just the right amount.  It had to be level, because asphalt was going to be laid on top of it.    I also liked the fact that Two Guys with Brooms were cleaning up as they went.  That might be because I’m slightly OCD, or it might simply be that I like to see men cleaning up…


So, the spiritual lesson in Men at Work?  I think it is the value of doing what is monotonous, or seemingly pointless.  Much of what we are called to do in this life is tedious, whether you are a homemaker, a businessman, or a garbage collector.  Same thing over and over, day after day…  often wondering what you are accomplishing.  But great cities are built little by little.  Muscles are strengthened little by little.  Character is increased and faith grows little by little.

So take the next step, in your job, or in your trial.  And then take the one after that.  If you offer what you do to Him, then nothing will be wasted.  He will accomplish something in your heart and in your mind and in your life, and in the lives of those around you.  Now get to work!

1 comment:

  1. I've come to realize that life does come down to the simple repetitive steps, which is sometimes annoying when you want a quick fix. My two main ones are for physical and spiritual health:

    eat right and exercise
    prayer and scripture study

    ReplyDelete