Friday, March 18, 2011

Forcing Karma in the Parking Lot

get it?  karma?  like, "car-ma" ?    I know.... you can't hear the rim shot from there...

"God works all things for good..."
Romans 8:28

I dropped off my Amazing Boy for baseball practice today, and I had a short time before I had to be back for the game.  So naturally I wanted to make good use of my time.  But as I went to back out of the parking place, I realized there was a car behind me, dropping off another boy.  So I was stuck.  He got out of the car, then opened the trunk to get his equipment, then dashed off, leaving the trunk open.  Apparently this car had an automatic trunk closing ability (there's probably a more automobile-savvy way to phrase that), but it was slow and steady, and the driver stayed where she was until the trunk had closed.  So I waited.  Finally, she drove off, and I was free.

Now, please understand, I wasn't irritated, or anxious at having to wait, but because I was counting the minutes I had, I was very aware of this slight delay.  And then, as I pulled out, I realized that since she had gone that-a-way, I could go this-a-way, and get out of the parking lot before she did.

That thought was immediately followed by the realization ~ albeit not for the first time ~ that I'm just a little competitive.  (Trivial Pursuit, anyone?)  And that thought was followed by the realization - or defense - that I wasn't really trying to get out of the parking lot before she did, that was the way it worked out!  I was going to get out of the parking lot before she did, and so that evened everything out.

Which is when the thought occurred to me that things being evened out, is not important to God whatsoever.  I thought about Romans 8:28, and how it says "God works all things for good for those who love Him..."  Nothing about fair in there.  God is completely just, but He never promised that life would be fair.  Just ask Job.  Just ask any disciple martyred for his faith.  Just ask Jesus.

We spend a great deal of thought, and sometimes energy, trying to make things are "even".  We feel the need to get revenge, get our fair share, or get the last word in.  But God is about turning the other cheek, doing unto others, and loving thy neighbor.  I guess I need to turn my thoughts more often to how I can bless others, and let God worry about how it will all work out for the best for me.

~ "God works all things for the good of those who love Him,
who have been called according to His purpose.
It is God who justifies." ~
Romans 8:28, 33

No comments:

Post a Comment