Saturday, March 19, 2011

Father, May I?

"present yourself approved" ~ 2 Timothy 2:15
"thoroughly equipped..." ~ 2 Timothy 3:17



Remember that game, "Mother, May I?"  Actually, it was sort of silly, now that I think about it.  "The Caller" tells you what to do, like "Take three giant steps," but then you have to ask, "Mother, may I?"  and then The Caller says, "Yes, you may."  Why would you have to ask for permission when you were told to do something?  But I digress...  Don't you love it when I digress in the very first paragraph?

I thought about that game recently, while I was getting on the freeway.  The freeway on-ramps around here have meters on them ~ stoplights that turn green every three seconds or something, so that cars enter the freeway one at a time.  So you stop, and you wait until it's your turn.  It keeps the freeway from clogging up at entrance points.  Makes the whole system run a little more smoothly.

And then I started to think, what if life was like that?  What if you weren't allowed to enter your day until you were given permission?   If you couldn't enter your office, or even get in your car, or maybe even leave your bedroom, until you were "ready".   I can just picture God looking me over, and saying, "No, not yet.  You're a little cranky from not sleeping well.  You need more prayer first."  So I'd kneel down and a few minutes later, I could know I was ready to face the day.  Or maybe He'd say gently, "I'm sorry, but this is going to be a day when you're going to need more patience than you currently have."  So I'd go back and sit down, and He'd lead me through some appropriate Scriptures so that I'd be thoroughly equipped for that day.

Courage... Boldness... Perseverance... Patience... Faith... Only He knows what we are going to need each day.  Ephesians 6 tells us to put on the armor of God, and 2 Timothy tells us that through His Word, we can present ourselves approved to Him, thoroughly equipped for every good work.  So if I try to enter my day without reading the Bible, without getting the "go-ahead" from Him, I'm setting myself up for failure.  And I'm liable to cause a traffic jam for others by not being guided by God.

So get yourself ready.  And then ask Him if you are ready.  "Father, may I?"  "Yes, you may."  Then grab His hand, and off you go!  

~ "Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, 
a worker who does not need to be ashamed, 
rightly dividing the word of truth." ~
2 Timothy 2:15

~ "All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, 
and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, 
for instruction in righteousness, 
that the man of God may be complete, 
thoroughly equipped for every good work." ~
2 Timothy 3:16-17

No comments:

Post a Comment