Monday, March 28, 2011

A light to those in darkness

"God saw the light, that it was good; 
and God divided the light from the darkness."
Genesis 1:4


I love the challenge of God’s Word.  Martin Luther (I believe) said, “The Bible is shallow enough for an infant to wade in, but deep enough for an elephant to swim in.”   I think that’s a perfect description.  If you are new to the Bible, it can be read without being overwhelming.  And if you’ve been studying it for years, there is still more for you to learn; places where you can dig and find new treasures. 

And one of the ways I like to challenge myself, is to find God’s Word in unexpected places.  That’s what this blog is all about.  Everyday occurrences, like things someone has said, or even a book I’m reading that has nothing to do with God – where is He in those things?  Because He’s always in those things!

So for today, I asked my Amazing Boy to challenge me.   “Give me any topic,” I said, “and let me see if I can find God in that.” 

What did he say?  Well, if you know my Amazing Boy at all, you won’t be surprised.  He said, “Jedi.”

The first thing that occurred to me was the most obvious analogy in Star Wars ~ the battle between good and bad; between light and dark.  I remember when I was young, my family attended a church that was a hexagonal shape.   In the center of the church, the ceiling rose to a cupola, that was also hexagonal, and had windows on every side.  So every Sunday, there was one section of the church that was in full sunlight, and it was generally the section that people avoided, until it was the only place left to sit.   One morning the priest joked about how, even though we were Christians, and we were supposed to be choosing light, there were an awful lot of people who preferred to sit in the dark.   

The battle between light and darkness ~ in Star Wars and in life ~ is power.  The Jedi were Jedi because they chose the path of light, to grow in power, by helping others, even though the pathway of darkness was easier.   Anger and revenge are strong motivators, and would result in the power they desired, but at a price.

Now think about the Light ~ specifically Jesus, the Light of the World.   What was His motivation?  Not anger, not revenge.  At any time during His life on earth, He could have called forth an army of angels to do His bidding.   Jesus was the most powerful Man on the earth, but His motivation was Love.  

Therein lies the question ~ what is our motivation?  What is important to us?  Is it power, which takes the form of money, stature or elevating ourselves above others?  Or is it love, which takes the form of a servant, elevating others above ourselves?  Your answer to that question will tell you whether His force is with you or not!  :)

{To my sweet boy ~ There you go; hope you liked it!}

~ " You are all children of light and children of the day.
We are not of the night nor of darkness." ~
1 Thessalonians 5:5

No comments:

Post a Comment