Saturday, August 4, 2012

And don't worry about all the pronunciations

"Have you not even read this Scripture?"
Mark 12:10

Some more thoughts on the Olympics today.  I'm fortunate to be a stay-at-home mom, so my Amazing and Awesome kids and I are able to watch some TV during the day, not just the prime time events.  That means we get to watch some sports that are "less popular" (at least by the standards of NBC).  It also means we get to watch events in their entirety, as opposed to seeing the highlights NBC thinks we'll enjoy the most.  I think probably that all, or most of the events are available online, too.

It's fun to have so much of it be accessible to us nowadays.  Can you believe there used to be a time where the Olympics weren't even on television?  I did a little research, and it appears that the 1936 Berlin Olympics were the first ones televised, but only in Germany, and people had to go to special "television booths" to watch.  I guess like a movie theater.  And then the 1960 Olympics were the first to be "televised" as it means to us today.

I love watching obscure sports.  Competitive badminton?  Fascinating.  And what exactly are the rules of team handball, cuz it's a little hard to follow.  Archery?  Astounding.

One sport that I've always been a little confused about though, is indoor volleyball.  I mean, I know volleyball.  I played volleyball in school, and recreationally.  But it never looked like that.  The rotations, the digs and spikes, even the rules are different.  And, I think because they are trying to fake out the other team, they bounce a lot.  They jump up to make it look like they're going to hit the ball, even if they're not, so the other team might not know where the ball is going to be coming from.  I know four years ago when I watched, I had trouble following, because it was like watching whack-a-mole.   So when we sat down the other day to watch volleyball, I was prepared to be just as confused as I was four years ago.

But I wasn't.  It was much more organized and logical looking.   And you know why?  Because in the meantime, my Awesome Girl has taken up volleyball.   Since the Olympic games in Beijing, I have been to countless volleyball practices, games and tournaments.  I have observed it, studied it, asked questions and observed and studied some more.  And while I don't understand all of its intricacies, I understand a lot more than I used to.  And besides, not understanding everything means there's more to learn.  That's good; I love learning.


So:  study, observation, questions.  That's how we learn, right?

So why are we so afraid of the Bible?  Oh, maybe not the whole thing, but for most of us, there is a book or two that we're intimidated by.   Chronicles, Leviticus, Ezekiel, Revelation, Daniel... what's the book you're afraid of?  Length, style, language, tone... what's your reason for being put off?

It's understandable.  To me, one of the beautiful things about the Bible is that there's something for everyone.  A book that you find tedious, or confusing, someone else finds comfortingly methodical or intellectually stimulating. 

But the only way to understand the book you don't understand, is to challenge it.  Read it.  Make observations.  Study it, ask questions, and read it again. And pray, for the wisdom you need, and the revelation of the Holy Spirit.

He wrote it for you.  Every word.  You owe it to Him ~ and to yourself ~ to read every word.

~ "You are mistaken,
not knowing the Scriptures,
nor the power of God" ~
Matthew 22:29

No comments:

Post a Comment