Friday, August 10, 2012

It's all His canvas

"all are gifted artisans"
Exodus 28:3

The family went to a local art festival today.  Dozens of artists with their work on display.  Paintings, mostly, but also ceramics, bronze, marble, basketry, jewelry, and photography.  Though there was a finite number of artists represented, there seemed to be an endless display of creativity.  We wandered around, looking, studying, calling each other over to share something, pointing out details.  We were awed and amazed and astounded, and sometimes puzzled.  How'd they do that?  Why'd they do that?

But I think the thought that I thought the most, the reason for my astonishment at all I was seeing, was the realization that I couldn't do it.  We looked at a painting of a snowy egret, for example, which is an all-white bird.  So if you were going to paint this, you'd use what ~ white paint, yes?  Well, primarily, but there was also some pink and some lavender in this bird.  I never would have known or thought to do that, but it's what made it so realistic. 

I was looking at an amazing creations, and I was in awe at the ability.  Why don't I do that more often with the world around me?  I mean, don't get me wrong; I love the things of nature.  Birds, flowers, animals of all kinds, rainbows, clouds, trees, you name it.  I so appreciate the variety and the color and the texture and the beauty. 

But I thought tonight, that there's been something missing in my appreciation.  The artists whose work I saw tonight were chosen to display their work because they can do what so many of us cannot.  But He can do ~ and has done ~ what none of us can do. 

Every material we work with, is of His hands.  Every idea we have, is of His imagination.  Every thought we have, He has already thought. 

He's so amazing. 

~ "He has made everything beautiful in its time" ~
Ecclesiastes 3:11

No comments:

Post a Comment