Friday, August 3, 2012

Everlasting Love

"I have loved you"
Jeremiah 31:3

Are you enjoying the Olympics?  I love watching the Olympics.  I've even had the wonderful fortune to be a part of them, attending events at the Winter Games in Salt Lake City (2002) and Vancouver (2010).  There's nothing like being part of the crowd, cheering on your compatriots.

But you know what's just as much fun?  Cheering for athletes from other countries.  Sometimes it's because there isn't a competitor from your country in that event, but sometimes it's simply because something about that athlete, or their country, has touched your heart, and you really want them to win.

In 2002, I went to a slalom skiing event with the Apple of my Eye, and the gold medal winner was a gal from Croatia.  Her name is Janica Kostelic, and she won four medals in 2002 ~ three gold and one silver.  Those were the first medals ever for Croatia in the Winter Games.  And I mean to tell you, the Croatian fans went nuts.  Cheering and singing and waving their flags, it was impossible not to join their excitement. 

I honestly don't even remember if there was an American in that event or not.  And ten years later, I still find myself rooting for Croatia just a little bit extra, when I watch the Olympics.  The athletes and their fans have found a little nook in my heart.

When I'm not attending the Olympics ~ which, of course, is most of them ~ I love to watch on TV.  And one of my favorite aspects is the "human interest" stories.  You know, when they give you some amazing and wonderful back story on an athlete that makes you appreciate how hard they've worked to get where they are, or what they had to go through to reach this point. 

Some of the athletes are household names, like Michael Phelps, and Misty May-Treanor and Kerri Walsh Jennings.  But most of them are names I've never heard before the Games.  And some of those stick with me for a long time, because I learn about them.  They become people, not just the athlete in Lane 6. 

And the thing I love, is that God knew them all along.  He knew every painful, hardworking step of every Olympic athlete.  He knew every effort made and every emotion felt on the part of family members.  He knows the sweet joy of success ~ however an athlete defines that ~ and the agony of competitors at home who were this close to making the Olympics. 

He knows us so well, and He loves us so much.  There's nothing He doesn't know about you, good or bad.  And He loves you.  You are His beloved.  I hope you know that.

~ "Yes, I have loved you 
    with an everlasting love; 
Therefore with lovingkindness 
     I have drawn you" ~
Jeremiah 31:3

No comments:

Post a Comment