Tuesday, August 28, 2012

As a zephyr

"not by might"
Zechariah 4:6

It's been hot lately.  I know; it's summer.  It's supposed to be hot.  Doesn't mean I have to enjoy it, though.

I'm really more of a "cloudy-and-cool-weather" kind of a gal.  I probably belong in Seattle or something, but this is where God has me, so I guess I'll just grin and bear it.

Although, truth be told, sometimes it's more like "whine and bear it".  But that's a confession for another time...

I was helping out in our Children's Program at church on a recent Sunday, and even though it was morning, it was getting hot already.  But part of my job called for me to sit in the hallway of the bulding, outside the classrooms for awhile, greeting kids and parents, and directing anyone who didn't know where their child should go.

So I left the air-conditioned classroom to sit in the hallway, and of course immediately noticed the temperature difference.  But after I sat there for a minute, I noticed the breeze.  It was slight, but it was there ~ and so pleasant.  It made the difference between hot and too hot

Then later that day, my family went to my folks' house so the kids could go swimming.  I didn't feel like going in the water, but I sat with my feet in the pool for a few minutes, then went to sit in the shade to read, and the breeze blowing on my wet feet was so cool, in comparison to the rest of me.  The breeze was slight, but it made all the difference. 

And I thought, "this is how God is... slight, but making all the difference." 

Now, hear me out ~ I'm not saying God is slight.  He is mighty and powerful and completely sovereign.  But He is also a still small voice (1 Kings 19:11-13).

He created the universe, but with just a word (Genesis 1).

He sent His Son to rescue us, but He came as a helpless newborn (Luke 2).

His Spirit is the power that came upon Samson when he killed a lion with his hands (Judges 14) but as the wind blows where it wishes, and you hear the sound of it, but cannot tell where it comes from and where it goes, so it is with everyone who is born of the Spirit.  (John 3:8)

His work in our lives is often subtle, even unnoticeable, if we aren't looking for it.  His effect can be just a tweaking, if that's all we need ~

... but it makes all the difference. 

~ " 'Not by might, nor by power
       but my My Spirit,' says the Lord." ~
  Zechariah 4:6

No comments:

Post a Comment