Saturday, August 25, 2012

Learning again, from my dog

"the seeing eye, 
the Lord has made them both"
Proverbs 20:12

We have a dog.  A sweet, wonderful, loyal dog.  Well, sweet and wonderful if you're in our family.  Or one of the half-dozen or so other people she likes.  To everyone else, she's just a dog.  Well, a loyal dog.  Well, loyal and noisy.  Well, loyal and noisy and cute.  Because there's really no denying that she's a good-looking specimen!


One of the things that makes her an attractive and interesting-looking dog is her eyes.  They are not just two different colors, as is sometimes the case with her breed.  She doesn't just have one brown eye and one blue eye.  She has one blue eye, and one that's half-blue and half-brown.


I thought about her eyes today, and thought to myself that I'm a little like her now.  Both my eyes are the same color ~ brown ~ but they are different from each other.  You see, I've been wearing contact lenses for about 16 years, but just a few weeks ago, I started going without one.  I have worn contacts for my distance vision, but my near vision has been getting worse, so my eye-doctor suggested keeping one contact in for distance, and having my other eye be the dominant eye for near vision. 

It's been working pretty well.  I can see better when I read, and still see well to drive, so I'd call that a success.  But there are times when I can tell my eyes are not looking at life from the same perspective, and I wondered today if this is how Holly sees life!  :)

Of course eye color has nothing to do with vision, so we're different in that way.  But over the past few days, I've thought that this is not a bad way to go through life ~ one eye for distance and one eye for near.  It has made me think, more than once, about what I need to be focused on.   Keeping an eye on the near ~ the here and now; while still remembering what's ahead ~ what the future holds and how to be ready.

One of the my favorite things about the Bible is that it tells about the past, present and future.  And I love every bit of it.  I love learning the history, but also applying wisdom and knowledge to my life now, and looking ahead to what He has planned for the future. 

It's hard sometimes to have my eyes adjust, but I know that overall I'm seeing better by being able to see well, both near and far.  And it's how He wants me seeing.


~ "Lift your eyes now and look" ~
Genesis 13:14

No comments:

Post a Comment