Friday, August 24, 2012

Taking the chance

"time and chance happen to them all"
Ecclesiastes 9:11

My Awesome Girl got a job. Well, I guess it's not really a "job" in the formal sense.  It's a babysitting gig, but on a regular basis.  The mom works from home, so she pays my girl to come over and help out with the two kids.  It's been about once a week for several weeks now.  My girl is having fun with the kids ~ mostly just playing with them, but also keeping them in line when necessary.  She's so good at it. 

I remember when I was a baby-sitting teenager, all I wanted to do was get the kids busy doing something ~ or to bed ~ so that I could read.  I wasn't really interested in interacting with them. 

Believe me, I'm a much better mom than I was a baby-sitter.

After I had my own kids, I loved spending time with them.   I loved reading to them, playing with them, or watching them play.  Going to the park, baking cookies, whatever.  I couldn't imagine putting them in Day Care, and I'm very fortunate that we've been able to live on one income, and I've been able to stay home with them. 

My daughter's new employer has chosen differently though.  After a long battle for good health for her and her son, she now works to help others improve their health.  I'm sure she's glad to be able to work from home, and to have someone to help watch her children while she does. 

Her choice ~ to work, and have someone watch her kids ~ is my daughter's opportunity.  And I started thinking how often that is the case.  Someone else's choice becomes our chance.  Maybe it's a job they don't want to do or can't do.  Maybe it's a ministry they said "no" to.   Doesn't mean that someone made a wrong choice.  It might be exactly what God was calling them to do.

But we need to be ready to seize the opportunities He presents to us.  I love the excitement in that.  We don't know when they're coming.  My Awesome Girl didn't go looking for this chance, but she was ready when it came.  And if we respond to the occasions He gives us, we will be blessed, and we will bless others.  My girl is getting that chance now. 

The opportunities are many.  Are you ready?

 ~ "Sanctify yourselves, 
   for tomorrow the Lord 
    will do wonders among you" ~
Joshua 3:5

No comments:

Post a Comment