Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Have a God day

"Your will be done"
Luke 11:2

I've been seeing ads for what looks like a cute movie.  I say that knowing sometimes movies aren't what they seem.  Have you ever gone to see a comedy, only to discover that the only funny parts were the clips you saw in the ads?  Or gone to a movie expecting one plot, and then learning that was only the sub-plot, and there's a whole 'nother aspect to the movie you didn't know about?

So, this isn't an endorsement; I haven't seen the movie.  I've only seen a cute ad.  The movie is "The Odd Life of Timothy Green".  I think that's what it's called.  It's about a couple who has no children, until a child appears in their house (from the garden?) and "adopts" them.

But I particularly like a scene in which the mom and dad send little Timothy off to school.  Dad calls after him, "Have a good day!" but Mom quietly reproaches Dad, saying, "That's too much pressure for him."  So Dad corrects his good wishes to Timothy, saying, "Have the kind of day you're going to have!"

It's funny to think that "Have a good day" might be pressure.  It's an amusing movie line because it's an expression of good will, not a commandment.  It's also funny because it gives insight into the mother who would worry about pressuring her child by telling him to have a good day. 

But I love that line "Have the kind of day you're going to have."  It struck me as similar to the way we should pray for one another; what we should hope for those we love:  "Have the kind of day God wants you to have." 

We have a tendency to pray for what we want.  What we think is best.  As a mom, I would be so happy if my Amazing and Awesome children grew up without pain.  I want them to make the team, get the part, be recognized for their gifts and have friends who won't ever hurt them.  I want the Apple of my Eye to have the job of his dreams, and I want all those I love to be in perfect health forever.

But not only is all of that not going to happen, I think God would say that's not necessarily for the best.  I know that if my child's feelings are hurt by a friend, then my child will learn to be a better friend to others.   I know that pain ~ emotional or physical ~ makes us more compassionate to others.  And I know that we are to esteem others higher than ourselves, which sometimes means being happy that someone else made the team or got the part.

What do you want for today, for yourself or someone you love?  A day that runs smoothly, by your terms, might mean you don't need Him, and don't pray.  A day with no struggles might mean a day with no growth.  A life on earth with no tribulation is simply not His will ~ it wasn't for Jesus ~ so why do we pray for it?

I'm not suggesting we shouldn't share our hopes with God, but we should desire His will overall.

Do you want to be blessed today, and tomorrow and the day after?   Pray for His will ~ no matter what that may look like to you ~ and you will be.


~ "not My will, but Yours be done" ~
Luke 22:42

No comments:

Post a Comment