Sunday, August 12, 2012

Priorities

"You did not choose Me"
John 15:16

I thought you might like to know ~  these are some of the things that prevent me from choosing time with Him.

The heat
I have Bibles, notes, prayer cards, devotional books, etc in three places:  at my desk, next to my bed, and in the family room.  But when it's hot, I tend to spend a lot of time in the chair nearest to the fan, so I can stay cool.  (We're trying not to use our A/C this summer.  $$$....)  In addition, the heat often leaves me listless and without purpose.  Now that I think about it, it has the same effect on my cat....

Lack of sleep
While I do pray anytime I'm having trouble sleeping, once I get up after a restless night, I have trouble concentrating.  Often I don't even try to pray or study, because I think I won't be able to give it my "best".  Whatever that means...

Lack of routine
I like a predictable schedule.  I like my reading, praying and studying to be at certain times of the day.   It helps me to be sure I accomplish the things I want to, like getting through a certain book, or finishing my Bible study homework, etc.  Don't get me wrong, I still pray.  My mumbling to God happens at various and unexpected times during the day.  But I also have notes and reminders for people in my life who need prayer for healing, or travel or some such.  Without following a routine, I sometimes forget to pray for someone, if the need is not urgent.  Although, isn't all prayer urgent, in its own way?

Lack of routine the previous day
If my day is weird, something's not gonna get done - laundry, helping one of my Amazing and Awesome kids with their schoolwork, getting something done for my ministry or for church, making a phone call, running an errand...  So that means the following day is going to be a "catch-up" day.  And unfortunately, if I feel overwhelmed, I'm liable to choose something that seems more "substantial" to get accomplished.  Like clean underwear for my family.  Yes, I sometimes choose underwear over God.  That's so pathetic, I know...

Any kind of ailment
Headache, sore throat, having tweaked my back sleeping wrong.... Please see: "Lack of Sleep".

The Unexpected
Sometimes I all of a sudden see something that needs to be done, and I can't think of anything else until I take care of it.   Sometimes an opportunity comes up.  Sometimes a visitor stops by.  Sometimes someone needs me.  And then guess Who falls off my To Do list?

The Olympics
I've watched more than my usual amount of TV the past two weeks!

I say He is my priority, but it certainly doesn't look that way...


~ "The law of the Lord is perfect...
The testimony of the Lord is sure...
The statutes of the Lord are right...
The commandment of the Lord is pure...
More to be desired are they than gold,
Yea, than much fine gold;
Sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb" ~
Psalm 19:7-10

No comments:

Post a Comment