Monday, August 27, 2012

Seeing what's right

"right in his own eyes"
Judges 21:25

I'm reading a book about the U.S. Civil War this week.  Specifically, about the Battle of Gettysburg.  It was a book that was recommended for my Amazing Boy, so I'm reading through it first to see if he should read it this year, or maybe wait until next year.  He loves American History, but war books can be hard to read, so I need to know how detailed it is, ya know?

There was an interesting line of dialogue in the book.  It was a soldier talking with a young girl who was helping with medical needs.  They were both northern, and she was bemoaning the fact that the war ever had to happen.  She said to the soldier, "Oh, why didn't we just let the South secede?  Do you think it's that important to keep the country together?"  And he replied, "Yes, but what I think isn't that important.  Our President thinks it is, and he has a longer, clearer vision than I do."

I just loved the faith he had in Lincoln ~ the faith he had in his leader.  That's the sort of attitude we need to have about God.  Here's what I think, but it's more important what God thinks.  That's trust. 

Years ago, when I studied the Book of Judges, there was a line that caught my attention, and has stayed with me.  It was:  "In those days there was no king in Israel; everyone did what was right in his own eyes."  It's such a sobering sentence.  It really illustrates how people were living, and the consequences of their choices.  To do what is right in your own eyes is not the choice of someone who's trusting God.

And just the other day, I read an article where the author said that that verse sounds a lot like today.  That life is like that now, too.  And I thought, "He's right.  But at least I know I'm not living that way." 

Oh please.  Who am I kidding?  I immediately had a check in my spirit, that I knew I was just as culpable as those Israelites. 

Here's an example.  James 4:10 says to "humble yourself in the sight of the Lord."  It doesn't just say "humble yourself", but "in the sight of the Lord".  It's easy to be humble in my own eyes.  All I have to do is let somebody in front of me in traffic, and then I pat myself on the back. 

But then I think about Psalm 139:23-24 ~ "Search me, O God, and know my heart; try me and know my mind.  Point out any wicked way in me."  It's quite something else to humble myself in His eyes, and it can only be done if I ask Him to show me the wickedness in me.

James 2:10 says that if anyone keeps the whole law, and yet stumbles on just one point of it, is guilty of all.   Any time I do what seems right to me, without finding out if I'm doing what He would have me do, or doing it the way He would have me doing it, then I'm just like the children of Israel, doing what is right in my own eyes.

We make dozens of decisions every day.  Some big, some small.  Maybe He doesn't care what I make for dinner, or what you wear to work, but every day we have opportunities to show our trust in Him.  To seek His will rather than just choosing what is right in our own eyes. 

~ "The eyes of the Lord are on the righteous,
And His ears are open to their prayers;
But the face of the Lord
is against those who do evil." ~
1 Peter 3:12

No comments:

Post a Comment