Thursday, March 27, 2014

But keep the faith of a child

"solid food belongs to those who are of full age"
Hebrews 5:14

The homeschool support group that we belong to posted an interesting field trip a few months ago:

Come join us for a fun-filled day
as we introduce you to Beatrix Potter!

Your student will be able to bring him their
very own book, colored by them!

Experience an introduction to drama
through dressing up!

Lunch will be provided 
and you will meet Beatrix Potter!

Doesn't that sound like fun?  Now, if I tell you that I am a huge fan of Beatrix Potter and her works, you might understand that I had a little pang upon reading this announcement.  You see, the program was aimed at pre-schoolers and young elementary, and my children (and I) are too old to attend.  And even if we could attend, my children (and I) would probably find it a tad dull.  Coloring and dress-up no longer challenge my kids' imaginations (although they both excel at and enjoy drawing!).

I was a little sad for when something like that would have been fun and educational for my kids, but I'm also so thankful for who they are now.   So smart and so challenging as young adults (challenging in an intellectual way, not in a "What am I gonna do with these kids?" kinda way)

And as much as I love Beatrix Potter's books, it's hard to say how much I would enjoy the day.  I mean, I would love to chat with Beatrix Potter, and find out more about her, but this would be an actress, of course.  And frankly, like my kids, I would probably find myself bored.  If I had taken them when they were younger, then I would have been enjoying the day through their eyes.  But now, for all of us, there would not be enough to stimulate our minds.  

Simple is good.  And sometimes it's a nice respite.  But in general, we need to challenge our minds.  We need to "graduate" from trials and struggles, and be tested in new ways.  Deeper study of His Word, richer faith, stronger love of our neighbor...  The more we grow in Him, the more "nutrition" we need.  Hebrews 5 says, "everyone who partakes only of milk is unskilled in the word or righteousness, for he is a babe.  But solid food belongs to those who are of full age."

We need to dig deep and engage fully in our walk, growing in His image, and in the fruits of the Spirit.  And hopefully, the more we learn, the more we'll love to learn!

~ "When I was a child, I spoke as a child,
  I understood as a child, I thought as a child;
     but when I grew up, I put away childish things" ~
1 Corinthians 13:11
~

No comments:

Post a Comment