Sunday, March 2, 2014

Unlovable. And yet loved.

"I have depended upon You since birth;
you have always been my God."
Psalm 22:9-11

Yesterday was my birthday.  It was a very pleasant day in that it wasn't all about me; my family had some things we had to do, but it was peppered by seeing a few friends, and having dinner with my folks, and hanging out with my wonderful man, boy, and girl. 

I also had many sweet and thoughtful messages from friends and family, and several cards.  Makes a person feel very loved, you know? 

But I also heard a song today that got me thinking.  It does every time I hear it.  It's Michael W.  Smith's "Never Been Unloved".  I want to share the lyrics with you.

I have been unfaithful
I have been unworthy
I have been unrighteous
And I have been unmerciful

I have been unreachable
I have been unteachable
I have been unwilling
And I have been undesirable

I have been unbroken
I have been unmended
I have been uneasy
And I've been unapproachable

I've been unemotional
I've been unexceptional
I've been undecided
And I've been unqualified

And sometimes I have been unwise
I've been undone by what I'm unsure of
But because of You and all that You went through
I know that I have never been unloved

Unaware I have been unfair
I've been unfit for blessings from above
But even I can see the sacrifice You made for me
To show that I have never been unloved

I have been unfaithful
But I have never been unloved

That song rings so true every time I hear it.  It makes me ashamed and so thankful all at once.  Which I suppose is the point...  But it was especially poignant on a day when I had so many people making me feel special and wonderful.  When the truth is, there is a lot wrong with me.  As God well knows.

But you know what?  A lot of those people who love me know it, too.  I'll bet you I couldn't point to one friend (or family member) who thinks I'm perfect.  They know I'm sometimes selfish, short-tempered, and forgetful.  And yet they love me.  As I do them.

I love, and I am loved.
But only because He first loved us.

~ "Beloved, let us love one another,
for love is of God...
We love Him
    because He first loved us" ~
1 John 4:7, 19
~

No comments:

Post a Comment