Saturday, March 15, 2014

Praising God for what I'm not worried about

"sufficient for the day is its own trouble"
Matthew 6:34

What's your biggest worry today?  Your biggest complaint?  

Does it have to do with an annoying family member?  A problem with a co-worker?

Maybe you've got a headache or other irritating health issue.

Perhaps your calendar is so full that you have trouble sleeping, afraid something important is going to slip through the cracks.

Currently my thoughts are on the busyness of the upcoming weekend, and the fact that I'm fighting off a cold.  This while I'm taking medication for dizzy spells brought on by allergies.  I'm also still feeling a little blue over the death of my sweet kitty, a little over a week ago.  And of course, since we're a one-income family, we are never without reason to be in prayer over our budget.  But that's most people, I assume.

I honestly can't say that most of these are "worries" for me.  I'm generally not that type.  But they are things on my mind; things that I wish were different, and things that require prayer.

But the reason these are the things on my mind is because of all the things that aren't on my mind.  We have a roof over our heads, and we all have plenty of food.  Everyone's health is good.  I have a good relationship with my husband and kids, and my extended family.  I live in a country that is blessed, and strong. 

I originally started thinking about this when I was studying the Book of Job in Bible Study.  I read what Job's "friends" had to say to him, and it's hard not to think to oneself how judgmental and sanctimonious they were as they informed Job of all the sins that he had obviously committed to earn such misery.  {Please hear the sarcasm there.}

But in addition to those thoughts, I also kept thinking about how little it must have mattered to Job.  He was in pain, his home and property and children were all gone.  Was he really going to be receptive to a deep, theological debate?  Even if he had something to learn from them, how persuadable can one be when their basic needs are not met, or they are in an emotional state, as Job was?

Job's friends could think about theology, because of all they were not having to think about.  Their homes, their families, daily bread...  I think this, too, about people in war-torn countries, or places suffering from drought, or flooding.  Their worries are far different from those of people whose lives are not in danger.

In much the same way, I am worried about whatever I'm worried about, because it's the most worrisome thing in my life.   What's causing me concern might be significant, but what's not worrying me, is more so. 


~ "Blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord,
and whose hope is the Lord.
For he shall be like a tree planted by waters,
which spreads out its roots by the river,
and will not fear when heat comes;
But its leaf will be green,
and will not be anxious in the year of drought,
Nor will cease from yielding fruit." ~
Jeremiah 17:7-8
 ~

No comments:

Post a Comment