Friday, January 3, 2014

I have chosen wisely

"choose the good"
Isaiah 7:15

I did not make a mistake.  I am quite confident of that. 

Not that I don't make mistakes.  As I tell my kids, "It's not that I've never made a mistake.  I have.  I think it was a Tuesday."

*ba dum bum!* 

Don't think they don't get tired of that line.

But this wasn't a mistake. 

The Hubby and I bought a Wii gaming system for our kids this Christmas.  I feel like they are the last kids in the country to have one, although I'm sure that's not true.  I have never believed in computer or video games.  Not that I don't believe they exist; I've seen them.  But I have never wanted them in my house, for my children.  I think it's too easy for them to become a daylong distraction, and I was afraid it would become a sort of swirling vortex of the "next" and the "better". 

The Apple of my Eye has always known how I've felt, and was fine with it.  I don't remember ever telling my kids how strongly I felt, nor do I ever remember them asking for Wii or X-Box or Play Station or any other variety of electronic game.  But that doesn't mean they haven't wanted one. 

A few years ago, I came close.  I'd been thinking of asking my husband what he thought of not getting the kids anything for Christmas but a Wii.  They had played at their friends' houses, and I thought they had the maturity to show self-control in their playing.

But then the economy turned sour, and our budget took a hit, same as everyone else in the country, so I decided it wouldn't be financially wise that year.  And I forgot about the idea.

This year, it seemed like the stars aligned. 

{I mean that in a very non-astrological kind of way.
I would never let the position of the stars influence a decision.
It's just an expression.
Thank you for listening and God bless.}

:-)

In the middle of December, a friend of mine put an ad in the classified section of our Homeschool group's website, saying that they wanted to sell their used Wii.  My friend lives close by, and we got the game by Christmas; the price was great; and it came with the games I would have wanted for my kids (nothing too commercial, but still sports that they are interested in and that would involve getting off the couch.)

And can I tell you how much fun it is having this in our home?  I know it's only been a week, but we are having so much fun.  We are, in fact, getting off the couch and playing.  We are challenging each other and encouraging each other and finding surprising talents (who knew my Amazing Boy could ski jump that well?!)

Not to mention it's getting me to exercise, and trust me, few people hate exercise more than I do.

So it would be easy for me to now say, "We should have done this sooner... I guess I was wrong." 

But I don't believe that.  I have always believed that the best that I can do is to do the best that I can do, at any given time, with the abilities or information that I have at that time.  If I'm prayed up and have been seeking His wisdom all along, then when I'm presented with a decision, I'm as ready as I can be.  Add a little counsel from someone I trust, and a little seeking confirmation when it comes time to decide.  Then I trust Him to bless the outcome in whatever way He sees fit. 

So this was the best decision for us.  And we're enjoying it.  And looking back, I've got all the peace I need.  That's one of the gifts that comes with trusting Him.

~ "we know that all things work together for good
to those who love God,
to those who are the called according to His purpose" ~
Romans 8:28
~

No comments:

Post a Comment