Thursday, January 2, 2014

Reaching out for what you need

"all your care"
1 Peter 5:7

For the last nine years, one of the highlights of family visits has been seeing my nephew again.  I love getting to know him again, learning how he has changed, what his new (or unchanging) interests are.

He is an only child, so my sister is devoted to him.  Not in a bad (read: spoiled) way, just that he's her focus, and she takes her role of mothering very seriously.

The other reason she takes her job seriously is that my nephew is a very-high-functioning-and-exceptionally-adorable Autistic child.  So his needs are a little different than the average child.

She knows him very well.  She knows his moods and his needs.  Many time she can anticipate what's going to be a difficult situation for him, and even if she can't, she can recognize it's happening, and help him through it. 

All good moms do this, of course.  No one knows a child better than his momma.  We know what makes them tick, their strengths and weaknesses, and the ways they are like their father, or their grandmother, or their aunt or uncle. 

I love watching my nephew when he turns to his mom for help on something, whether it's that he can't reach a glass, or that he's in a situation that makes him uncomfortable.  And almost always, she drops what she's doing if he needs her.

{I say "needs" because there are times that he just "wants" her, 
in which case she'll tell him 
to handle that particular situation on his own.}

I love knowing that God is just this connected with us.  He cares about our inner lives, not just our physical needs being met.  Matthew 6 says "Therefore do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' " and "Seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added unto you."  That's about the physical.

But I also love 1 Peter 5 ~ "Humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God... casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you."  That's the one that promises me that He cares about what's going on inside me, too.  He cares that I am fearful, anxious, frustrated, panicky...

My sister has the words for her son, no matter his need.  So too, is everything we need in God's Word.  No matter our concern or our dilemma, He has peace and guidance, free for the asking.

So ask.

~ "Your words were found,
and I ate them,
And Your word was to me
the joy and rejoicing of my heart" ~
Jeremiah 15:16
~

No comments:

Post a Comment