Monday, January 6, 2014

Papa Mick

"Remember the days of old,
  Consider the years of many generations"
Deuteronomy 32:7

This is terrible quality, so I apologize for that, but take a look at this photo:



I took this in the Butterfly Garden of the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center outside Austin, Texas.  It was on one of those benches that is donated by someone in memory of a loved one.  This one, in case you can't read it, says:

In Memory of 
Dr Michael E. Blaw
1927 - 2006
Who loved the poetry of T.S. Eliot,
the science of the brain, the spirit of a tree,
the laughter of a child,
Brussels sprouts, philately and crossword puzzles.
We miss you, Papa Mick

Generally, things like this simply say the person's name, and I was so intrigued by all that this family had included.  It was wonderful to me that they had included all of these interesting details in this place, so that everyone who saw his name would know a little something about their "Papa Mick". 

But even more than that, I love how known he was.  They knew him.  And they appreciated what were seemingly minute characteristics about him.  And now, to a small extent, I know him, too.

I love how interesting and varied and complex God has made each of us.  But even better than that is that the people in our lives who appreciate who we are. 

Are you appreciating the people in your life?  And even more, are you appreciating how much you are appreciated?

~ "This is My commandment,
  that you love one another
     as I have loved you." ~
John 15:12
~

No comments:

Post a Comment