Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Speed bumps weren't God's idea

"I will guide you"
Psalm 32:8

I hate speed bumps.  They're too.... bumpy.  They're jolting and abrupt and they cause the car to lurch no matter how slow you're going.  You practically have to slow down to a crawl to try to go over them gently.  And they annoy me because even if I'm already obeying the law ~ which is 10 mph in a parking lot ~ they force me to go even slower.  And if the law is 10 mph, then I should be allowed to go 10 mph, right? 

Now, of course, I wouldn't insist on going 10 mph if circumstances called for slower driving.  I know that if there's a pedestrian, or another car, or rain or something, that I need to slow accordingly.  But if it's an empty parking lot, and I'm the last one out of the store, it annoys me to have to slow down for no reason.

Well, thanks for letting me get all that off my chest.  But really, my main complaint is how abrupt and steep they can be.  Not gentle.

Which is why I believe that speed bumps aren't God's way.  God is gentle.  He instructs and teaches and guides.  He has given us His Word, and put people in our lives that will lead us where we will be in His will.

Now, of course, we can veer from that if we want to.  Free will and all that.  But going too fast in the parking lot has repercussions.  Accidents, tickets, damage to the undercarriage of the car from bouncing too fast over speed bumps....  And if we veer from His best for us, there'll be repercussions for that, too.  So of course He'd rather we not incur those.   I'm just glad that if I'm in His word, and near to Him, I'll only need a nudge to stay on course.  So much gentler that way!

~ "The king's heart is in the hand of the Lord,
like the rivers of water, 
He turns it wherever He wishes" ~
Proverbs 21:1

No comments:

Post a Comment