Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Not Alone in the Lone Star State

"every man to his family"
Judges 21:24

We were traveling all day, flying to the Lone Star state of Texas to visit family. 


 I'm so thankful to God for family.  Godly love is a love that loves no matter what, and that's what family is like. 

There it is, folks ~ the legendary Yellow Rose of Texas!
Oh, not always, I know.  It takes strength and patience to love some people.  But sometimes we are the ones who require strength and patience to love. 

"Judge not, that you not be judged.  For with what judgement you judge, you will be judged; and with what measure you use, it will be measured back to you."
Matthew 7:1-2

A friend of my mother's was saying the other day, that her grown children ~ who are my age ~ never call.  Part of me can understand that.  Life can get so busy sometimes.   Running a home, being a wife, mother, teacher, volunteer, etc can seem to take up all the hours of the day, leaving just enough to sleep, and then do the whole thing over again.

"Honor your father and mother, 
that your days may be long 
upon the land which the Lord your God is giving you"
Exodus 20:12

But I think it's a mistake to think that these relationships can thrive without interaction.  I can't go long without communicating with my family.  Phone calls, emails, etc.  And most of the time, I'm glad I did.  I go away feeling loved, and usually laughing. 

"Let them first learn to care for their family at home... for this is good and acceptable before God."
1 Timothy 5:4

Because even if we can't find much in common with our families, we have each other in common.   We have a choice when it comes to friends; but family?  That was God's choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment