Thursday, April 26, 2012

I've got that for ya!

"let all your needs be my responsibility"
Judges 19:20

While we were in Texas a few weeks ago, my family got to go to one of the Six Flags amusement parks for the day.  So that morning I dressed very intentionally ~ keeping in mind the weather, the fact that we'd be there all day, and that I'd be walking a lot. 

And then the question of what to bring.  I didn't want to be carrying my purse cuz there's no place to put a purse on a roller coaster.... So I was bringing a fanny pack instead, but that's much smaller, so I had to choose what I wanted in there; what might we need over the course of the day?  And I went to the Apple of my Eye, and to my Amazing Boy and Awesome Girl, and asked them what they wanted me to put in my bag for them.  You know how a mom's purse is:  it needs to be everyone's resource.

And honestly, it was my pleasure to do that for them.  To make sure I would have what they thought they might need, whether it was chapstick, or pain reliever in case of a roller coaster-induced headache.  While I want to teach my kids to be self-sufficient, this was one of those times when I was happy to take their needs onto myself, so they could just enjoy themselves.

Sometimes that's just the thing to do, ya know?  To be what someone else needs.  To carry their burden or be there for them.  It's a good prayer to have ~ that He would enable me to be part of what people around me might need at any given time.  A smile, a prayer, a word of wisdom or encouragement.  I can have all that packed in my bag every day, if I get all I need from Him, from Whom all good things come! 

~ "have something to give 
       to him who has need" ~
Ephesians 4:28

No comments:

Post a Comment