Thursday, April 5, 2012

They're not stains, they're battle scars!

"six days you shall labor 
   and do all your work"
Exodus 20:9

Today's thought is about laundry.  Dirty laundry.  Well, is there any other kind? I mean, there's clean laundry, but isn't that just "clothes"?  Hmm.....

Okay, so I'm thinking today about dirty laundry.  I was at my Amazing Boy's baseball game last Saturday, when one of the boys slid in the grass to catch a ball.  My dad, who was sitting behind me, said, "Boy, that kid's mom is not going to be happy when she's trying to get that grass stain out of his pants!"  I kind of laughed along with him, but a few days later, I found myself in my laundry room, trying to get grass stains out of my boy's baseball pants.

And it didn't bother me a bit.

I was smiling as I sprayed stain remover on this pants, as I remembered how well he had played.  Hitting and running and sliding are messy.  If you want your kid to come home clean, have him play tennis, right?   The only way my boy would ever come home from a game perfectly clean would be if he'd spent the entire game on the bench.  Cuz you only stay clean if you're a spectator.

The thing is, God wants us dirty.  He wants us in the game, and He wants us coming home tired, dirty, and maybe a little bruised.   It's cleaner and safer to sit on the bench, but we're not accomplishing much.   He wants us to work; He says so more than once in Scripture.  Not to mention the example He set for us in Genesis.

So get to work!  And then rest when you must, and then get back to work! 

And get dirty!

 ~ "Walk worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing Him, 
    being fruitful in every good work" ~
Colossians 1:10

"Aspire to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business, 
  and to work with your own hands" ~
1 Thessalonians 4:11

"If anyone will not work, neither shall he eat" ~
2 Thessalonians 3:10

No comments:

Post a Comment