Saturday, April 21, 2012

Battery not required

"A prayer to the God of my life"
Psalm 42:8

I think I have a love/hate relationship with technology, especially when it comes to my children.  I love my iPod, and being able to have music with me wherever I go, so I'm glad for them to have iPods, too.

But I just have a simple iPod.  Theirs do a whole lot more.  Games, internet access, and the ability to communicate with friends.  Plus, we have an extra cell phone that they share.  Just something for them to have if they are away from me, so I can check in with them.  The good thing is, I know I can trust them.  They have always shown themselves to be responsible with their choices; they always ask before purchasing games or music, and they use their own money. The bad thing is, they're looking at a screen more often than I'd like them to.

I try to remember that things are different than they used to be.  When I was their age, I was on the phone a lot.  That's how I communicated with my friends.  My kids rarely talk on the phone; they text or email instead.  And they use their iProducts for school as well as fun.  They have a Bible on there, as well as a dictionary and of course, a calculator and access to the internet.  So it's not like they are always playing games.  But still, I just sometimes wish things were like they used to be, and technology wasn't such a big part of our lives.

But this week, I'm getting a valuable reminder of what a blessing technology can be.  The battery on the kids' cellphone isn't working, and we haven't had a chance to do anything about it.  Which means for the past several days, when my kids are away from me, I can't communicate with them, and I just hate that!  :)  We're together most of the time, so anytime I'm away from them, I have symptoms of withdrawal, and I just hate not being able to check in on them, or even tell them I'm missing them.

And it's got me thinking ~ albeit not for the first time ~ about how awful it would be to not have the ability or opportunity to communicate with God.  I'm so used to praying whenever and wherever I want.  Long or short, good or bad stuff, He's ready and waiting at all times, to hear from me.  What a joy.... what a privilege... and not to be taken for granted. 

I'm very, very grateful that He hears me when I call.

~ "Evening and morning and at noon I will pray,
and He shall hear my voice" ~
Psalm 55:17

No comments:

Post a Comment