Wednesday, April 25, 2012

The One True God

"holy and true"
Revelation 6:10

One of my favorite stories is that of Helen Keller learning that language existed.  Her mind had been locked in a tomb of darkness and silence, until Annie Sullivan found the key.

Helen said, "As the cool stream gushed over one hand, she spelled into the other the word 'water', first slowly, then rapidly.  I stood still, my whole attention fixed upon the motion of her fingers.  Suddenly I felt a misty consciousness as of something forgotten ~ a thrill of returning thought, and somehow the mystery of language was revealed to me.  I knew then that 'w-a-t-e-r' meant the wonderful cool something that was flowing over my hand."

With this realization, Helen raced around the yard and then the house, asking for the names of objects and people that she never knew had names.  All of a sudden, on that day, she knew for the first time, how much she didn't know.

You probably know that there's stuff you don't know, but do you know how much you don't know?

God is more than we can possibly comprehend. 

He is a Savior, and a Servant.

He died, and He is the Source of Life.

He is the Shepherd, and the Sacrificial Lamb.

He rode into Jerusalem on a donkey, and He will return on a horse.

He is the Prince of Peace, but in righteousness He judges and makes war.

He is Father, and Son, and Spirit. 

And I can't comprehend that. 

But I can believe Him.  And I can obey Him, and praise Him and desire to serve Him by serving others.

And I can seek to know Him, to the fullest of my capacity for what He has revealed in His Word.  As interesting as the stories are, I don't read it to find out more about David or Paul or Abraham or Esther.  I read it to learn more about God.

And I want to learn more about Him, because I love what I know...

"Therefore know that the Lord your God,
He is God.  
The faithful God who keeps covenant and mercy 
for a thousand generations 
with those who love Him 
and keep His commandments."
Deuteronomy 7:9

"He is God, who has made us, 
and not we ourselves.  
We are His people and the sheep of His pasture"
Psalm 100:3

"He is God, in heaven above 
and on earth beneath"
Joshua 2:11

"He is God who judges the earth"
Psalm 58:11

No comments:

Post a Comment